Dearest Friend

"... you will not let me feel secure
or good about myself."


I’m so thankful you’re in my life
my truest, dearest friend...
you always hold my bearings
when my ego plays pretend.
You keep my senses firm and sharp
when the mirror toys, betrays...
you remind me of my many flaws
despite its hopeful gaze.

My confidence is held in check
when you think enough’s enough...
you will not let me feel secure
or good about myself.
Nor ever let me feel as though
my opinion has much weight...
that any talent I may have will
keep my pathways straight.

You always keep my balance clean
when someone is amazed...
you do not let me hear their words
or trust their heartfelt praise.
You never fail to point my thoughts
toward how useless that I am...
or how I fail the ones I love
time and time again.

You love to have me to yourself
in the quiet of our home...
the only one who’s always there
when I feel so all alone.
I love you so, my dearest friend
though I should hate you instead...
but I know you’re with me ‘til I die -
the voice inside my head.

Copyright © 2009 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written August 2009
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.