Tennessee Mist

"A ghostly figure seemed to form
within the ether’s fog..."


Run down and reckless,
by the life I've chose to live,
the words I write betray my heart -
a tear I can't forgive,
feeling unappreciated on a cold
and moonless spree,
I took my car to the open road
in the mist of Tennessee.

Pulled into a rest stop just off
the highway pass,
the air was thick as envy…
with moisture on the grass,
I heard a distant train approaching
as a movement caught my eye -
in the shadows of the darkness
the mist began to rise.

A ghostly figure seemed to form
within the ether’s fog,
I felt anticipation -
but not any fear at all,
the figure formed into man of
stately strength and pride
who strolled toward me with
confidence and glory at his side.

He had the presence of a prophet -
no sign of compromise,
towering stature - well-lined features -
wisdom in his eyes,
a real-man who had faced his pain
without complaints or fears,
and when he spoke his baritone
was soothing to my ears.

“Listen to me well, my friend,
for what I say is true,
do not fear the darkness,
for it lives inside of you,
follow your vision faithfully -
it will serve you well one day,
and never underestimate
the words you write and say.”

He smiled at me and turned away -
his long coat flowing wide,
his silhouette became a shadow
that rejoined the Other Side,
my doubts began to fade away
as the train rolled down the track,
when it fell on me - my inspiration -
had been The Man In Black.

Original Copyright © 2007 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written April 2007
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.