Enigma

"... when we both know I’ve always preferred
black roses anyway."


The blood of my eternal pain flows across my naked chest,
a wound that teases, taunts, and burns - will not let me rest.
You were everything I wanted, everything I’d dreamed to take,
but you never let me get too close - a chain I could not break.

An enigmatic cauldron that stirred my well too deep,
so I traveled off to other fields… and nursed my aching need.
Picked myself a faerie belle, despite dark angel’s sway,
when we both know I’ve always preferred black roses anyway.

So the casket was finally opened as you chose another goal,
but I wonder if he comprehends the bloodlust of your soul.
Does he celebrate the darkest realms, of your eternity?...
if not don’t let me go - if he does then set me free.

Original Copyright © 2007, 2009 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written November 2007; Revised May 2009.
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.