Murder Was My Sin

"... placed the barrel to his ear and
hollowed out his brain."


I can hear the echo of the footsteps coming down the corridor,
I know where they’re going.. and who they’re coming for.
The pace that slowed to a crawl, then stopped at my cell door,
my 8-by-10 caves in on me when I think of what’s in store.

See, I shot my older brother while he slept one noon away,
placed the barrel to his ear and hollowed out his brain.
I called the Sheriff to let him know of what I’d done that day,
then smoked a Newport Light while the cops were on their way.

I admitted that I did it, and I looked them in the eye,
told them I had no regrets and did not tell a lie.
I left the jury no cause for guilt when they sentenced me to die,
although it may have made a difference if I’d told them why.

I felt a hatred toward him and I could not gain control,
if I had not witnessed it I never would have known.
He should have never touched her with that evil in his soul,
since he was her trusted uncle and she was ten years old.

My girl had gone through too much at the hands of her kin,
I would not put her through the trial just to save my skin.
So I kept my silence - and accepted - that murder was my sin,
at least I know damned good and well he’ll not touch her again.

Original Copyright © 2006 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written May 2006
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.