Shauna Lopez [E]

"Fueled by pain and hatred -
with sweet vodka as my guide..."


The guard shouts, “dead - man - walking”
but I’m not a man at all.
you’d think they’d get my gender right
since this is the final call.
My name is Shauna Lopez and
before my life’s an end,
I wish to tell my side of things -
the depth of my own sin.

He toyed with me so skillfully -
he brought obsession on,
he held the carrot out of reach
‘til it was finally gone.
He took me on a journey -
insecure and filled with doubt,
convinced me he was all there was -
that I couldn’t live without.

Oh that bastard was a player -
and he tore my life in two,
had me at his beckon whim without
thought or care or truth,
And when he knew without a chore
he had me on my knees,
he left me for his ex-wife-thing -
and in my miseries.

I did not understand his act -
I wanted answers fast,
but he was not yet done with me -
the lies that he would cast,
he told tall-tales about my soul,
across the whole damned town,
‘til even friends and family -
convinced I’d melted down.

The days dragged on forever until
one cloudless winter’s night,
I got tired of the agony that
he’d brought into my life,
Fueled by pain and hatred -
with sweet vodka as my guide,
I took my blade to bring him down -
to teach him wrong from right.

I knocked upon his bitch’s door -
he answered in surprise,
I shoved the knife into his gut until
it reached to his spine,
I dragged the steel across his throat -
he crashed without delay,
when the cops arrived my face was drenched
in joy and crimson spray.

I explained this to the jury -
mercy was in short supply,
when they handed down the sentence
I did not bat an eye,
with all the shit he’d put me through
I felt nothing but relief,
for I think he learned the lesson…
not to fuck around with me.

I still have no regret, remorse -
I really do not care,
he must be rotting - the bowels of hell -
I know I’ll see him there.
For when they flip the switch today,
I’ll fry and face my sin,
and hope that when I cross his path…
I can kill him once again.

Original Copyright © 2007 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written July 2007
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.