Or Give Me Death

"What good is life, if it must bow
to a blood-soaked throne..."


If you gain peace through surrender
what use is your peace?
Where's the value in prosperity
if crawling on your knees?
How comforting are your amusements
if you are not your own?
What good is life, if it must bow
to a blood-soaked throne?
Illusion breeds and spreads like lice,
I think it's time we asked the price,
declare your truth
with every act and breath...
"give me Liberty... or give to me my death."

How much is your freedom worth
if granted at their whim?
What spark of life is there to stoke
when 'thought' becomes a sin?
You can not buy the facts they sell
when facts are packaged myths,
so how can you believe their words
or trust their empty gifts.
The masquerade is streamed and televised,
question all - and lock 'n load your minds,
demand what's yours
as though there's nothing left...
"give me Liberty... or give to me my death."

Copyright © 2011 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written March 2011
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.