The Other Side

"... the silk of truth will be her dress -
retribution will be her spear."


Well, I’m heading off to see my love today,
I’ve been dreading this moment for so long -
I do not know what I’ll say.
15 years have come and gone since her face was in my eyes,
but I know that she’ll be waiting… on the other side.

She had a perfect beauty - and was wicked to the core,
she stole my heart and lust and cash
then she walked right out my door.
She left me in degradation and she did it with glowing pride,
so I sought her out to send her… to the other side.

I waited for her to come home in the foggy pale moonlight,
I pushed the barrel to her pulse
and destroyed that silent night.
They arrested me on the scene while I hung my head and cried,
for I knew that I’d just lost my love… to the other side.

The jurors wasted no time to determine guilt and shame,
the judge handed down the sentence
and he did so in her name.
Well I felt no anger toward him ‘cause I deserve to wilt and die,
and now the day has come to join her… on the other side.

They walk me to the chamber and I cannot stem the fear,
the silk of truth will be her dress -
retribution will be her spear.
I am not afraid of god or man - but of her I’m terrified,
I know she will destroy me… when I reach the other side.

Original Copyright © 2006 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written November 2006
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.