Anymore

You brew your morning coffee
while I scan the TV space,
my commentary is just enough -
contempt across your face,
the dream you had of where we’d be
got lost in daily grind,
you feel the pressure of the future…
the things that tie and bind.

These last few years are wearing you -
I can see it in your eyes,
my little quirks you once found cute -
you cannot exorcise,
the day-to-day of living with me has
become a draining chore,
I have no doubt you love me…
but I don’t think you like me
anymore.

Your impatience is so prevalent
with every breath and sigh,
I feel it when you cut me off -
you know you can’t deny,
you work so hard to hide the truth
but it’s time to call your bluff
for I know you know that even love...
sometimes ain’t enough.

I feel the struggle of mind and heart -
you do not want to leave,
but my habits drive you to the edge -
feeling so naïve,
I sense you’re getting tired and don’t know
what you’re staying for,
I have no doubt you love me…
but I don’t think you like me
anymore.

Original Copyright © 2006 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Included in the e-book, "Walls of Shadow"
Written November 2006
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.