MySpace Blues [E]

"... one night feeling reckless...
so I met a girl on-line."


Relationship in limbo
so I was marking time,
one night feeling reckless…
so I met a girl on-line.
She fired up discussion and
I liked her written word -
I told myself a little friendship
could not hurt.

She seemed to be a person,
who had a kindred soul,
a little on the brink,
but very decent as a whole.
Had no way knowing what
she had beneath her hat -
that she was crazier
than a shithouse rat.

We both shared all our problems,
insecurities and fears,
then at one point in the e-mails
the focus shifted gears.
She started pushing boundaries
as her desperation rose,
Not sure how it all happened -
I had to find a close.

I tried to back away from her -
she would not let me go,
while dancing with her demons
caused my concern to grow.
The truth of my true feelings
reared its ugly honest head -
she sent a nasty e-mail
wishing I was dead.

Then she flooded me with phone-calls
and harassment far and wide,
I mentally dismissed her rants
and took it all in stride.
Three blessed days of silence, thought her
obsession finally floored,
when on that Friday night
she showed-up at my door.

I barely heard the gunshot as the
pain spread through my chest,
the crimson of my essence
flowed as strong as my regret.
The cops and paramedics did their
thing when they arrived,
but I knew damned good and
well I was about to die.

The mobile docs worked on me
as I planned my final word,
I spoke to them with passion though
I don’t know if they heard,
Saying “if you’re feeling reckless…
and are just marking time…
stay away from MySpace…
and do not… get on-line.”

Original Copyright © 2008 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written January 2008
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.