On The Line

"... why don't you just admit it -
you've got another on your mind..."


I'm tired of the masquerade -
fed up with the lie,
why don't you just admit it -
you've got another on your mind.
All the trashy innuendo,
makes me feel... so foolish
deaf and blind.
You know that I'm in love with you...
but you keep me, hanging on the line.

The sneaky coy flirtations -
that shadow in your eyes,
you're terrified to hurt me -
the suspicion gnaws and bites.
If you're gonna break me lover,
then just do it... so I can fall
apart inside.
This slow and aching torture...
choking me, as you drag me on the line.

I'd give up everything for you -
all you'd have to do is try,
but this story arch is wearing thin -
I cannot live or die.
In your selfish whims of fancy,
you ignore my... lonely
empty nights.
While you go freely 'bout your business...
I just drift here, swinging on the line.

Copyright © 2009 Stone Bryson. All Rights Reserved.
Written December 2009
About Stone...
Known in many (albeit small) online circles over the past 15 years, Stone Bryson is a poet, storyteller, and essayist. He is working on various writing projects, and lives what he describes as an 'analog life.' He resides in Jackson County, Missouri.